Data Protection Notice
Please read this carefully, as it contains important information relating to the details that you will give / have given us.
We are required to make you aware of this information to comply with Data Protection Act 1998. It explains how we may use your details and tells you about the systems we have in place that allow us to detect and prevent fraudulent applications and claims. The savings that we make help us to keep premiums and products competitive.
You have a right to access personal information that we hold about you. For details relating to information held about you please contact the Data Protection Officer at Zenith Marque Insurance Services Limited , Prospect House, Thanet Way, Whitstable, Kent, CT5 3FD or telephone 01227 284700.
For details relating to information held about you on the Claims Underwriting and Exchange Database and the Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register please visit:
How we will use your data
Insurance underwriting purposes i.e. to examine the potential risk in relation to your (and/or a third party's) prospective policy so that we can:
- consider whether to accept the relevant risk;
- make decisions about the provision and administration of insurance and related services for you (and members of your household);
- validate your (or any person or property likely to be involved in the policy or claim) claims history (at any time, including upon application for insurance, in the event of an accident or a claim, or at a time of renewal)
Management information purposes i.e. to analyse insurance and other markets for the purposes of:
- portfolio assessment;
- risk assessment;
- performance reporting;
- management reporting;
Anti-fraud purposes i.e. to detect and prevent fraudulent claims and/or activities by:
- sharing information about you with other organisations and public bodies including the police (if false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies to prevent fraud and money laundering. Further details explaining how the information held by fraud prevention agencies may be used can be obtained by writing to the Data Protection Officer at Zenith Marque Insurance Services Limited , Prospect House, Thanet Way, Whitstable, Kent, CT5 3FD or telephone 01227 284700);
- tracing debtors or beneficiaries, recovering debt, managing your accounts and or insurance policies;
- Undertaking fraud searches. Insurers pass information to the Claims Underwriting and Exchange Database and where appropriate the Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register administered by Insurance Database Services Limited (IDSL). This helps insurers check information and prevent fraudulent claims. When we deal with your request for insurance we may search these registers.
Compliance with legal obligations and responsibilities:
- Claims management – In the event of a claim we may need to disclose information with any other party involved in that claim such as third parties involved in the incident, their insurer, solicitor or representative and medical teams, the police or other investigators. We also may have to investigate your claims and conviction history;
- Motor Insurance Database - Information relating to your insurance policy will be added to the Motor Insurance Database (MID) managed by the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB). MID and the data stored on it may be used by certain statutory and/or authorised bodies including the Police, the DVLA, the DVLNI, the Insurance Fraud Bureau and other bodies permitted by law for purposes not limited to but including:
- Electronic Licensing
- Continuous Insurance Enforcement;
- Law enforcement (prevention, detection, apprehension and or prosecution of offenders)
- The provision of government services and or other services aimed at reducing the level and incidence of uninsured driving.
If you are involved in a road traffic accident (either in the UK, the European Economic Area or certain other territories), insurers and or the MIB may search the MID to obtain relevant information.
Persons (including his or her appointed representatives) pursuing a claim in respect of a road traffic accident (including citizens of other countries) may also obtain relevant information which is held on the MID. It is vital that the MID holds your correct registration number. If it is incorrectly shown on the MID you are at risk of having your vehicle seized by the Police. You can check that your correct registration number details are shown on the MID at www.askmid.com;
- Complaints management - If you make a complaint about the service we have provided, we may be obliged to forward details about your complaint, including your personal information, to the relevant ombudsman.
How your data will be processed
Information which is supplied to IDSL and MID can include details such as your name, address and date of birth together with details of any injury arising from a claim.
Your data may be transferred to any country, including countries outside of the European Economic Area, for any of the purposes mentioned above.
Under the conditions of your policy, you must tell us about any incident (such as an accident or theft) which may or may not give rise to a claim. When you tell us about an incident, we will pass information relating to it to IDSL.